From the Epistolae et Evangelia (c. 1540) to the Espejo divino (1607)
Indian Latinists and Nahuatl Religious Literature at the College of Tlatelolco
In 1536, fifteen years after the Spanish conquest of Mexico, the Imperial College of Santa Cruz was founded in Santiago Tlatelolco, an Indian enclave to the north of Mexico City. The students at the college, who were drawn from native elites, received an advanced education in Latin from Franciscan missionaries. The present discussion will explain why such a training was provided to those indigenous youths, and clarify the nature of their accomplishments (1). A discussion of the translations of biblical texts into Nahuatl made at the College of Santa Cruz (2) will be followed by a survey of original religious texts produced there in the Mexican language, many of which had identifiable Latin precedents (3). The concluding section then offers some tentative general reflections on the part played by Latin Christian humanism in shaping early Nahuatl literature, arguing that it bears some comparison to the way Latin had already underscored the development of vernacular literature in early modern Europe (4).
Copyright (c) 2019 Andrew Laird
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Articles published in JOLCEL are distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence (CC-BY 4.0). This licence allows researchers to download, copy, share, transform, extend, or republish, as long as the original author and publisher are cited. The copyright remains with the author.
JOLCEL does not have submission or publication charges.